(Disclaimer: This post probably does not peg me in a good light. Roll with it though; I’m pretty sure everyone feels the same way, whether it be hidden deep down or blatantly slung in someone’s face.)
My name is Nina & I’m a Music-aholic.
I love music. I’m in love with music. If I were stranded somewhere & I could have only one thing, it would be music. Even above food & conversation & great works of literature. I need music in my life. Correction; I need my music in my life.
I’m a music snob. A complete & utter snob. I have this (sometimes) hidden need to be right when it comes to music. I almost feel like I have a monopoly on all good music. Heck, not almost – I do feel like I have a monopoly on all good music. Now, don’t get me wrong, if you disagree with me about a certain track or album I won’t sound off at you (unless you’re my husband, but he promised to love me in sickness & in health & (as said by Monica – “this is my sickness”!) I may however think a little less of you. Sorry. =/ Does that make me a terrible person?
*I can’t resist using a FRIENDS video…*
Either way, I like to think I have a fairly eclectic taste & open mind when it comes to music. I just love it. From Des’ree’s soulful tone, to the rough passion of Dave Grohl, to Jeff Buckley’s purity, to The Civil Wars unarguably perfect harmonies, I love music. I love a moving melody, a catchy riff, an interesting or touching lyric. Harmonies are what really do me though. I love a good harmony.
I should say however, that I do have just a couple of rules when it comes to music:
1. Never insult Jeff Buckley. Musical genius. No debate.
2. Never be too hasty in judging a piece of music.
3. Stick to your guns. If you love a piece of music, but no one else does, who cares? It’s your taste. Defend it. Explain why you love it. Maybe you’ll educate someone =P
Anyway…here’s a list of some of my favourite songs to listen to at the moment.** I’ll pop up videos of a few of them at the end too…
– Lover You Should’ve Come Over, Jeff Buckley
– Radioactive, Imagine Dragons
– Shelter, Birdy
– Turning Page, Sleeping At Last
– Roslyn, Bon Ivor & St. Vincent
– Heaven Song, Phil Wickham
– I’m Kissing You, Des’ree
– Iris, Goo Goo Dolls
– Poison & Wine, Eavesdrop, Same Old Same Old, actually, anything by The Civil Wars
– Heroes, David Bowie
– The Story, Brandi Carlile
– Atlas, Coldplay
– Hide and Seek, Imogen Heap
– Both Sides Now, Joni Mitchell
– Never Let Me Go, Florence and the Machine
– Everlong, Foo Fighters
**NB: These change. A lot.
Noah’s current favourite song is Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus. He sings it all the time and asks us to put it on as soon as we get in the car. I love that about him. He’s already developing his music taste. Actually in truth, I’m just so happy he’s moved away from Justin Beiber. Phew.
Now please, enjoy…